Lee Junki's GQ Interview


Lee Jun Ki says that he has changed. Even though he always wondered how people could change, he realized that it had happened to him. He admits that it would be impossible not to become a different person with the amount of the attention he receives. Anyone can live through their twenties but no-one can be as determined as Lee Jun Ki. He still has so much more he wants to do and wants to do well in everything. His passion burns.

What did you see out of the window this morning?
The window is blocked off by a wall. Also, I close all the blinds. I always feel as if someone is looking in. There’s not a lot of privacy since I’m on floor four. In some ways, it’s like a closed prison.

That sounds fitting for Lee Junki but I don’t know why.
When I’m alone, that’s usually because I just want to be alone. I watch movies, play games, surf the Internet and excercise.

You could have predicted that Lee Junki can’t sit doing nothing for long.
Apart from the three hours that I spend sleeping, I’m doing something or other. I used to sleep a lot, but once I started getting interested in the world, I became something of an insomniac. I always feel like I’m chasing or longing for something. Nowadays I feel like time is too precious to sleep through, so I even look up rumours on the Internet. Since there’s no other way to study acting other than to observe different people or their environments, I guess this way of life is okay.

I don’t know how that could be a good life. They say an Aries adapts quickly.
That’s right, I am an Aries. I used to be on the quiet side and was hostile to other people. I used look down on people I thought were below me whenever I succeeded. That’s all changed.

They say that people do not change [equivalent of cheetahs don't change their spots].
That’s what I thought too. How can someone change? But it’s happened. Maybe it was because I became the focus of attention, where people began seeing my personality. I consciously tried to change. To become not just a good actor, but to become Lee Junki, a good human being.

“The King and The Clown” is just one of the productions you’ve been part of, but the image you portrayed was impressive and long-lasting. Did you feel that you needed to try choose a project to cast off the image to tell audiences “Look, in this production, I act like this”?
Actors in their twenties are not mature and absorb everything as it comes. When you try and let go of everything and just go for it, you make an impact. I like work that exhausts me. I push myself to get the talent out until I feel like I might kill myself… I know onlookers might question why I put myself through struggles when I’m acting…

The Lee Junki on screen is usually intense. In the second of “Il Ji Mae” last year, you were acting even though you’d lost your voice. That made the public think a lot.
Back then I was really angry. As a young actor, I wanted to hear praise so I didn’t waste one minute, one second. It maddens me whenever I remember that I was always on location and tried to work with the staff, but ultimately couldn’t control myself. Forget praise and compliments - even if I don’t get any, I had a duty as the actor with the leading role and I failed to keep myself in top condition. I think I needed to wise up. I used to hate thinking that, but I guess I’ve learned a lesson.

Seeing an intense performance from an intense actor can get tiring. Even a little awkward.
I haven’t acted much, so it’s unlikely that I’ve tired out audiences, but my fans are probably as tired out as they can be. Because it’s not always fun. If I have one desire, it’s this. I’m in my twenties and I’m bursting with energy and I want to do something that I can throw everything I have at. My managers tell me to do something more laid-back, because that’s meant to be better at attracting more trendy and mature fans. But isn’t a man more manly when he’s in is thirties? When I look at myself in the mirror, I don’t think I can win over women with a glint of my eye. No, I want to do melodramatic roles after I’m back from National Service and have actually gone through some life trials and have become worthy of such roles.

credit: OnionTaker

0 comments: